How to Use the Brooklyn Pirate Radio Sound Map (BPRSM)
- The map loads playing a station from the BPRSM archive. (Click the "Play” button if autoplay doesn’t start.)
- Click on the tuner’s ARCHIVE button to open a dropdown menu with additional clips of the selected station.
To Hear Other Stations:
- Click on the tuning arrows.
- Hover over one of the three pirate radio neighborhood zones and click for a list of stations that broadcast to those areas.
- Select a station from the list and it will play on the tuner.
Station Status Indicator:
- On-Air: currently broadcasting.
- Off-Air: no longer broadcasting.
- Sporadic: broadcasts irregularly.
- The tuner plays pirate radio clips recorded in Flatbush, Brooklyn by David Goren from September 2014 to the present.
- The map zones reflect the neighborhoods where the pirate broadcasters aim their programming.
- All information on pirateradiomap.com is based on intensive research, radio monitoring and interviews with listeners and broadcasters, media scholars, and regulators.
- Specific station locations are not indicated. The intent of the Sound Map is to preserve an aural snapshot of Brooklyn’s culturally diverse pirate radio landscape.